Archaeology and the Patriarchs
by: Charles N. Pope
Parallel between the Hebrew record (Bible) and evidence from Egyptology
Copyright ©1999-2004, 2016 by Charles
United States Library of Congress. All rights reserved under International and Pan-American Copyright Conventions.
Part I - Early Egyptian History
- Chapter 1 "Sons of a Greater Goddess"
- (Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel)
- Chapter 2 "The Fair Daughters of Godly Men"
- (Patriarch Enoch)
- Chapter 3 "In Love and War"
- (Patriarchs Irad, Mehujael, Mehushael and Lamech)
- Chapter 4 "Deadly Drought, Fatal Flood"
- (Noah to Nimrod)
- Chapter 5 "Biblical Dark Ages"
- (From Nimrod to Sargon)
- Chapter 6 "God is One God"
- (Origins of Biblical Jehovah in the Egyptian Religion of Amen)
- Chapter 7 "A Sceptre Shall Rise"
- (The Genesis of Israel)
- Chapter 8 "The Fullness of Time"
- (The Dual Identities of Joseph, Moses and Joshua)
- Chapter 9 "Right in Their Own Eyes"
- (Perspectives on the United Kingdom of David and Solomon Overview of Chapters 10 through 15)
- Chapter 10 "Contending with the Almighty"
- (The Fall of 1st Dynasty Babylon and Rise of the Egyptian New Kingdom}
- Chapter 11 "All My Will"
- (The Rise and Fall of King Saul)
- Chapter 12 "At the Side of My Father"
- The Birth and Succession of Pharaoh Thutmose III (Covenant of Isaac)
- Chapter 13 "The Day of Reckoning"
- Djehuty: Early 18th Dynasty Priest, King, General, Viceroy, Scribe and Treasurer (The Egyptian name and titles of Abraham)
- Chapter 14 "Brave Among Men"
- (The Female Pharaoh Hatshepsut)
- Chapter 15 "A Shepherd They Withheld"
- New Kingdom Egypt is Centralized under Amenhotep II and his sons Thutmose IV and Yuya
- Chapter 16 "Surest Signs of Piety"
- (Comparisons between Pharaoh Akhenaten, Biblical Moses and Greek Oedipus)
- Charts for Part I
Part II - Amarna Period
- Chapter 17 "Beast of Burden"
- (The Role of the 22nd Dynasty in New Kingdom Egypt)
- Chapter 18 "Wars and Rumors of Wars"
- (Conflict in the Reign of Amenhotep III)
- Chapter 19 "I Now Abandon You to Shishak"
- (The Campaign Mural of Sheshonq at Karnak)
- Images Chapter 19 Reference Pictures
- Chapter 20 "Evil More Than All Before"
- (Israel During the Amarna Period)
- Chapter 21 "The Wrath of the Lord is upon You"
- (The Suppression of Amen by Akhenaten)
- Chapter 22 "A Jealous God"
- (Tiye, Queen of Egypt, Queen of Exodus)
- Chapter 23 "Mine Own Familiar Friend"
- (Panehesy: Nemesis of Akhenaten)
- Chapter 24 "An Everlasting Priesthood"
- (Panehesy as the New Kingdom Phinehas)
- Chapter 25 "No Better than My Ancestors"
- (Smenkhare, Beloved of Akhenaten)
- Chapter 26 "A Double Portion"
- (Smenkhare Prepares the Way for Tutankhamun)
- Chapter 27 "Go in Peace"
- (The Restoration of Tutankhamun)
- Charts for Part II
Part III - End of the New Kingdom
- Chapter 28 "Beginning of Strength"
- (Origins of the House of Ramses in the 18th Dynasty)
- Chapter 29 "To No One's Regret"
- (Horemheb Celebrated, but Not in Thebes)
- Chapter 30 "His Youngest Son Succeeded Him"
- (Ramses and Seti in the Amarna Period)
- Chapter 31 "The Chariot and Horsemen of Israel"
- (New Kingdom Empire Salvaged by Seti and Ramses the Great)
- Chapter 32 "The Fairest of Them All"
- (Queen Nefertari and her Firstborn Amen-hir-khopshef/Osorkon III)
- Chapter 33 "A Separate House"
- (Competition for the Throne of Ramses-the-Great)
- Chapter 34 "Through the Fire"
- (A New World Empire under Takelot III/Tiglath-pileser III)
- Chapter 35 "One Conquers a Thousand"
- (Piye/Sargon Becomes 'King of Every Land')
- Chapter 36 "Neither Before Nor After"
- (An Empire in Transition)
- Chapter 37 "Bronze Shackles"
- (The Odyssey of Taharqa)
- Chapter 38 "Peace and Security in My Time"
- (The Trials and Triumphs of Shebitku)
- Chapter 39 "His Servant for Three Years"
- (Taharqa and Thebes in the Tug-of-War)
- Chapter 40 "I Will Wipe Jerusalem as a Dish"
- (The Destruction of Thebes)
- Chapter 41 "I Will Raise Up Cyrus, My Anointed Shepherd"
- (Transition to the Persian Era)
- Charts for Part III
- Supplement 1 "Mary Magdalene, Harlot or Queen?" (Posted at The Daily Grail website)
- Supplement 2 "Herod the Great, King of the Jews"
- Supplement 3 "The Birth of Christ"
- Supplement 4 "The Ministries of John the Baptist and Jesus"
- Supplement 5 "Saints and Apostles"
- Chart "Jacob Typecasting of Herod"
- Chart "Solomon Typecasting of Herod"
- Chart "Egyptian Archetypes of Herodians"
- Chart "Gospel Identities of Herodians"
- Chart "Collective Typecasting of Herodians"
- Lesson 1, "His Eye was not Diminished"
- (The Sons of Jacob and Leah in Egyptian Myth)
- Lesson 2, "Who Made You Judge Over Us?"
- (The Memory of Dan and His Line as Judges in Egypt)
- Lesson 3, "To the Utmost Bound"
- (The Increase of Joseph Over His Brothers)
- Lesson 4, "Swift upon the Prey"
- (Benjamin Takes the Nature of Levi and Kingship of Joseph and Shiloh)
- Lesson 5, "Sons after the Flood"
- (The Scarlet Thread of Kingship in the Land of Canaan)
© Charles N. Pope, US Library of Congress. All rights reserved.