December 12, 2018, 03:53:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Membership Currently Closed.

Boards Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New (2010) Shakespeare Authorship Offerings  (Read 13559 times)
Chuck-Star
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 04:54:46 PM »

I just finished reading "Shakespeare and the Lost Kingdom".  It's an excellent addition to the Shakespeare authorship debate.  It is clearly from the point of view that Edward de Vere (Earl of Oxford) was the author of the Shakespeare plays and poems.  However, it is not written in the form of an argument or proof per se, but more of a rambling biography of Oxford as Shakespeare.  I enjoyed it very much.  The book is by definition overly Oxford-centric.  For example, the author tends to associate almost every Shakespeare character with Oxford or as a reflection of some aspect of Oxford's life.  For example, he thinks the character of Malvolio in the play Twelfth Night was based on Oxford when it was actually a representation of King James of Scotland.  Edgar in the play King Lear is also associated by the author with Oxford, when this character was more likley (or at least more strongly) linked to the Earl of Essex.  In his true that many Shakespeare characters can be mapped to more than one historical person, but the author tends to emphasize self-portraits of Oxford rather than a more balanced mapping of Shakespeare characters to the full complement of members of the Elizabethan court.  Nevertheless, this new book is a "crown jewel" and has given me much to think and do about.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: