October 20, 2018, 12:35:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Membership Currently Closed.

Boards Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cradle of the Gods  (Read 72407 times)
Tim

« on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:08 AM »

Nat Geo ran a new documentary on Gobekli Tepe tonight.  It was nice to see the recent excavation, as well as Schmidt's bombshell that they have discovered a new area that predates the rest, in the neighborhood of 12,000 years BP.  You already know that this has been a pet topic of mine for years, and I assert that it is absolutely impossible to overstate the significance.

So without too much pontification, I culled some interesting nuggets germane to topics hereabouts.

Years ago, Helge and I posited that Abraham was a Hurrian prince: and in the classic manner of the proto-Arsacids, they exported royalty, religion, iconography, and typecasting as a single unit- then told the story as interesting homilies about shepherds etc. as to how it all came about.  Interesting Nugget 1) the show matter of factly claimed that the nearest town to Gobekli Tepe claims (and has claimed for millenia) to be the birthplace of Abram/Abraham.

The central ruin of GT, is a circle of 13 monoliths with two central pillars in the center.  The monoliths are taken by Schmidt to be stylized human forms without heads, and are embellished with representations of animals such as eagles, lions, snakes, spiders, etc.  How they fail to mention in the show that the complex may have zodiacal implications is absolutely beyond me.  That topic may be taboo at the moment.

They talked about the burial practices of the GT people.  The practiced ritual burial, in which heads were separated from bodies, and apparently the body was offered to Vultures and other scavengers, while the head was kept and venerated as in skull form.  Schmidt doesn't make the connection: but it seems clear to me that the skulls must have been placed on top of the stylized "Human" headless monoliths for ritual purposes.

Here's where it gets interesting: Schmidt suggested that the purpose of the ritual may have been to initiate replacements for dead members i.e.:  a literal typecast society.  Since the numbers line up perfectly, I'll square the circle here using the Christian analogy.  In this culture, there is always a "Judas" or a "Peter" or any of the other apostles.  When one dies he is "resurrected" in the form of a new living being who takes his place and ritualistically forsakes his personal identity and becomes the new role.  No great shakes to anybody who has done any reading around here, but let me repeat the date again- unquestionably 10,000 BC.

That really got my head spinning.  As I've said before here- it is shocking that appears that the religion, hierarchy, iconography and technology of this society appears again in Mesopotamia 7000 years later virtually unchanged.  Shocking too that mankind in the timespan had transformed from a completely nomadic, subsistence based culture to an agricultural society with domesticated animals, hybrid grains, and a fully formed vocabulary of existential awareness.

Is it possible that the adoption of typecast leadership based generally on zodiacal structure (i.e.: 12+1 - a pretty consistent theme) and anthropomorphic iconography (Birds of Prey, Lions, Snakes etc) was more than just a coincidence?  Is it actually possible that in fact such a structure actually stimulated some sort of Lamarckian evolution, whereby when humans adopted typecast roles, as part of the role they became the "keeper of the knowledge" of that role.  This extends conceptual growth beyond single lifespans, allowing long term political stability, and a foundation upon which technology can grow geometrically- as opposed to the steady state neolithic, in which virtually every new generation had to "reinvent the wheel" so to speak.

This society was so successful, that in fact, that the implication is that they acheived genetic superiority (not in a sense that they were "better" but rather their progeny overwhelmed all competing genetic lines to the extent that there really is no genetic evidence in the modern gene pool of any rivals), and in fact became a society of kings- of civilization makers.

One more:  the entire Egyptian pantheon of sacred animals is represented at GT- and no others except one: the pig/hog.  There are many representations of what look like razorback tusked hogs, and evidence of ritual feasting on hogs.  Odd that later incarnations of the cult would exclude this animal, (the Hog seems to take the place of Egypt's cat if everything else is lined up).

Ptah-Bull
Thoth-Ibis
Amun-Ram
Horus/Ra-Falcon/Hawk
Anubis-Jackal
Sobek-Crocodile
Hathor-Cow
Sekhmet-Lion
Nekhbet-Vulture
Wadjet- Snake (Cobra)
Khepri- Scarab Beetle (looks more like a spider or scorpion at GT)
Geb- Goose/Snake
Bast- Cat

One last item: the literal meaning of "Gobekli Tepe" is "Pot-Bellied Hill".  All indications are that the "the hill" part of Gobekli Tepe is actually artificial: they have proved that each successive "temple" was buried using 1000's of yards of fill, and that successive rebuilding made no use of prior masonry, but rather that the completed and finished temples were buried in toto, and new contruction took place directly on top, or near to the prior site.

Now we all know that "pyramid" is a literal translation in Greek from the Egyptian, and it means "Fire in the Middle".  Personally I associate the work "Pot" with fire- in the sense that as a tool, it only has significance relative to the act of using fire to prepare food. Personally I think "fire bellied hill" would be an amazing antecedent to "fire in the middle", and in fact in Gobekli Tepe, we may be seeing the first incarnation of the abstract idea that the ressurection of the soul requires a vehicle: and that this vehicle is specifically not a tomb, but rather a temple of transformation, and a vehicle to ressurection/immortality via the divine typecast.

Hmmm.  I could write alot more, but.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:57:31 PM by Tim » Logged
Chuck-Star
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:35:45 AM »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the review.  I somehow missed this program!

The god Seth was associated with the pig, so perhaps there were no omissions at GT.

The latest episode of "Ancient Aliens" was about Puma Punku in Bolivia.  The program pointed out that there was evidently a deliberate attempt to bury that site as well.  However, in that case most of the structures were destroyed and the fragments became mixed up in the slurry of mud that covered the site.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: