[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Early New Kingdom Genealogy

Posted By: Charles Pope
Date: Sunday, 11 April 2004, at 8:19 a.m.

I have prepared a new genealogy chart for the 18th Dynasty. It should be posted shortly as Chart 17b.

Previous discussions here on the forum regarding the "firstborn" and "eldest son" in ancient culture have led me to rethink some of the Patriarchal family relationships. For example, it is now evident that Abram was not the true son of Terah, but an "eldest son" by one of his prominent wives. Information provided by Oscar on the parentage of General Djehuty also supports this. Likewise, Nahor the second son of Terah was probably the "eldest son" of a different wife. Nahor corresponds to Adad-nirari, who claimed to be the son of Arik-den-ili (Biblical Arioch). There were exceptions no doubt, however in general we should expect that the firstborn child of any royal wife was produced by fertility rite and according to the ancient custom. If "redeemed," also by custom, that child became the legal child of the woman's future husband.

Another change in genealogy involves Amenhotep I. He is generally thought to have been the son of Ahmose. Therefore, I concluded that Amenhotep was the great-grandson of Tao I. However, it is now apparent that Amenhotep was only an "eldest son" of Ahmose, and the true son of either General Djehuty, Thutmose I, or Tao II. Tao II (Gideon) is the most likely candidate since he and Amenhotep I (Phurah) acted together as spies in the enemy camp as part of the famous battle of four kings against five (Judges 7:9-11; Gen 14). Amenhotep would then have been a grandson of Tao I, which is far more reasonable in terms of his expected age at the time of the battle.

Here is a link that provides an update to the DNA testing of early New Kingdom royal mummies by Scott Woodward at BYU:

Secrets of the Ancient World Revealed through DNA
http://www.egyptstudy.org/Ostracon/Greenfield_WoodwardDNA_June2001.pdf

Woodward states, "Thutmose I shares a particular allele with Amenhotep I; conventional wisdom says they were not father and son but DNA evidence implies that they were."

Thutmose I cannot have been the son of Amenhotep I, but could have been the father of Amenhotep I. However, there are reasons to think that the mummy identified as Thutmose I is actually someone else. See comentary at:

http://www.geocities.com/scribelist/update.html

Woodward also writes, "Ahmose-Nefertari may have been Amenhotep's mother." If so, then prior to becoming the wife of Pharaoh Ahmose, Nefertari already had an "eldest son" by either Tao II, Thutmose I, or Djehuty. Later, Ahmose-Nefertari also became the consort of her son Amenhotep I.

Messages In This Thread

• Early New Kingdom Genealogy
    Charles Pope -- Sunday, 11 April 2004, at 8:19 a.m.

[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]