Roman Name of Josephus, Take 5
Posted By: Charles Pope
Date: Friday, 21 September 2007, at 11:18 a.m.
Even though the word is out, here's a "tenth" clue:
- He reformed the Jewish tax instituted by Vespatian and intensified by Domitian.
There is considerable debate as to what the Jewish tax reform of Nerva was actually intended to accomplish. Various interpretations are:
1) The blame and shame ("calumnity") of the Jewish Revolt was officially removed from the Jews.
2) Roman citizens could no longer be maliciously attacked by being accused of "Judaizing".
3) Christians would no longer be stigmatized by association with Judaism.
4) Methods of collecting the Jewish tax would be made more civil.
Here's just a sample of discussion/analysis of the topic on the web:
- Roman Name of Josephus, Take 5
Charles Pope -- Friday, 21 September 2007, at 11:18 a.m.
© Charles N. Pope, US Library of Congress. All rights reserved.